In this galvanizing follow-up to the best-selling Teaching with Poverty in Mind, Eric Jensen digs deeper into engagement as the key factor in the academic success of economically disadvantaged students. Drawing from research, experience, and real school success stories, Engaging Students with Poverty in Mind reveals:
- Smart, purposeful engagement strategies that all teachers can use to expand students’ cognitive capacity, increase motivation and effort, and build deep, enduring understanding of content.
- The (until-now) unwritten rules for engagement that are essential for increasing student achievement.
- How automating engagement in the classroom can help teachers use instructional time more effectively and empower students to take ownership of their learning.
- Steps you can take to create an exciting yet realistic implementation plan.
Too many of our most vulnerable students are tuning out and dropping out because of our failure to engage them. It’s time to set the bar higher. Until we make school the best part of every student’s day, we will struggle with attendance, achievement, and graduation rates.
This timely resource will help you take immediate action to revitalize and enrich your practice so that all your students may thrive in school and beyond. In Eric’s latest book, he shares student engagement strategies that are strongly tied to socioeconomic status. Learn the seven factors that are crucial to engaging disadvantaged students: health and nutrition, vocabulary, effort and energy, mind-set, cognitive capacity, relationships, and stress level. To address those factors, Jensen provides actions and solutions you can use in every day practice to:
- Cultivate a high-energy and positive classroom climate that fosters success every day.
- Build your students’ capacity to focus their attention, think critically, process content, and recall it from memory.
- Create greater excitement that spurs student motivation and effort.
- Develop students’ deep, sustained understanding of content.
The strategies in this book will empower you to automate student engagement efforts in your classroom and school so more struggling students succeed. You can get it at Amazon by clicking here.